Welcome to Sugar Skull City! Aurora Downtown is honoring Day of the Dead, the beloved Mexican cultural tradition, from October 15 to November 15. Join us in celebrating Dia de los Muertos with art, activities, specials, videos, shopping, and much more.
“We come into this world to learn to die, and we die to begin our true life.”Danza Tolteca-Chichimeca
You’re Entering Sugar Skull City
- Take a self-guided walking tour of downtown storefronts decorated for Day of the Dead by local artists and downtown staff. Map below!
- Enjoy specials and menu items at restaurants that honor the Day of the Dead traditions.
- Participate in a Sugar Skull scavenger hunt.
- Learn how to make DIY sugar skulls and papel picado. VIRTUAL!
- Shop downtown shops for local artisan Day of the Dead merchandise.
- Stop into Mexican restaurants and bakeries and support Latinx-owned businesses.
- Buy an official Sugar Skull City tote bag filled with goodies. Sugar Skull City totes are available for $15 at Wyckwood House and The Cotton Seed Creative Exchange. Limited supply!
- Vote on Sugar Skull art prints by local artists.
- Participate in an ofrenda contest.
- Download Sugar Skull coloring pages.
- Enjoy an evening of Day of the Dead celebrations at First Fridays on November 6.
- To request information in Spanish, please email info[at]auroradowntown[dot]org.
- Para solicitar informacion en espanol, envie un correo electronico a info[at]auroradowntown[dot]org.
Sugar Skull City ACTIVITIES
Scavenger HUNT: We currently have ONE large Sugar Skull screen print on YELLOW paper hidden in plain sight in downtown Aurora. If you find it, take a photo and #sugarskullcity on Instagram, and you could win an official Sugar Skull City tote bag. You can also enter by submitting the photo via email to info[at]auroradowntown[dot]com. Winners will be chosen randomly each week until November 15.
Sugar Skull City MERCH
Visit shops in downtown Aurora for special Day of the Dead gifts, home decor, accessories, and more. Purchase an official Sugar Skull City tote bag filled with goodies for $15 at The Cotton Seed Creative Exchange and Wyckwood House. Limited supplies! Update: TOTES are ALMOST SOLD OUT!
Sugar Skull City SPECIALS
- Altiro Latin Fusion ~ Free Pan de Muerto with Cafe de Olla purchase
- La Quinta de los Reyes ~ Pumpkin Margarita
- La Central Bakery ~ Pan de Muerto
- Society 57 ~ Honey Spiced Latte Hot honey + cinnamon + espresso + steamed milk. And for kids… Caramel Apple Cider Steamed apple cider + cinnamon syrup + whipped cream + caramel sauce drizzle
Sugar Skull City VIDEOS
Sugar Skull City AT HOME
Sugar Skull City DOWNLOADABLES
Coloring pages are a joint project with Culture Stock.