Welcome to Sugar Skull City! Aurora Downtown is honoring Day of the Dead, the beloved Mexican cultural tradition, from October 15 to November 6, 2022. Join us in celebrating Dia de los Muertos with art, activities, specials, videos, shopping, and much more.
“We come into this world to learn to die, and we die to begin our true life.”Danza Tolteca-Chichimeca
You’re Entering Sugar Skull City 2022
Thanks for visiting Sugar Skull City for our third year. This year, we’re celebrating from Oct. 15 to Nov. 6. Take a self-guided tour of downtown using our map of participating businesses. Find more activities below.
- Take a self-guided walking tour of downtown storefronts decorated for Day of the Dead by local artists and downtown staff. Click on link above for this year’s map of participating businesses.
- Enjoy specials and menu items at restaurants that honor the Day of the Dead traditions.
- Sugar Skull City Scavenger Hunt: Find as many Pan de Muerto in storefronts as you can from Oct. 15 through Nov. 6 in downtown Aurora. Pan de Muerto is the traditional Day of the Dead bread. Tag the ones you find @downtownaurora on Instagram for giveaways. #sugarskullcity
- Learn how to make DIY sugar skulls and papel picado. Videos below!
- Shop downtown stores for local artisan Day of the Dead merchandise.
- Stop into Mexican restaurants and bakeries and support Latinx-owned businesses.
- Buy an official Sugar Skull City tote bag. Stay tuned for where to purchase!
- Participate in an ofrenda contest at Santori Public Library of Aurora, 101 S. River St.
- Download Day of the Dead coloring pages.
- Enjoy an evening of Day of the Dead celebrations at First Fridays on November 4, 2022.
- Shop a special Sugar Skull City Art and Market Aurora at Society 57 on Saturday, Nov. 5 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- To request information in Spanish, please email info[at]auroradowntown[dot]org.
- Para solicitar informacion en espanol, envie un correo electronico a info[at]auroradowntown[dot]org.
Sugar Skull City ACTIVITIES
Scavenger HUNT: Throughout Sugar Skull City, we will have ONE large Sugar Skull screen print on YELLOW paper hidden in plain sight in downtown Aurora. If you find it, take a photo and #sugarskullcity on Instagram, and you could win an official Sugar Skull City tote bag. You can also enter by submitting the photo via email to info[at]auroradowntown[dot]com. Winners will be chosen randomly each week until November 6.
Sugar Skull City GALLERY
Sugar Skull City MERCH
Visit shops in downtown Aurora for special Day of the Dead gifts, home decor, accessories, and more. Purchase an official Sugar Skull City tote bag for $20 at The Cotton Seed Creative Exchange, Wyckwood House, and Aurora Regional Fire Museum. Limited supplies!
Sugar Skull City SPECIALS
- Altiro Latin Fusion ~ Free Pan de Muerto with Cafe de Olla purchase
- La Quinta de los Reyes ~ Pumpkin Margarita
- La Central Bakery ~ Pan de Muerto
- Society 57 ~ Honey Spiced Latte Hot honey + cinnamon + espresso + steamed milk. And for kids… Caramel Apple Cider Steamed apple cider + cinnamon syrup + whipped cream + caramel sauce drizzle
- Gillerson’s Grubbery ~ The Altar Burger – Featuring a local farm-raised beef patty from Gehrke Farms (Dekalb) stuffed with a wicked hot ball of cheese that’s been spiked with various hot peppers, cooked to perfection and topped with habanero pineapple salsa featuring Gindo’s Hot Sauce. Served with a side of elote. $21 | Smokey Granada Margarita – Featuring Don Julio Respasado, Banhez Mezcal, fresh pomegranate juice and seeds. $10 | Churros Bread Pudding $7
- French 75 Gallery & Lounge ~ Day of the Dead cocktail
Specials are subject to change.
Sugar Skull City VIDEOS
Sugar Skull City DOWNLOADABLES
Coloring pages are a joint project with Culture Stock.