This is all new. But what is not new is our incredible community coming together. This time, it’s virtually – for now. Here are ways to give back while you stay at home. Show us what you are doing by tagging #stayathomeaurora and sharing on social media.
- Volunteer. Aurora Area Interfaith Food Pantry and Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry have impressively adjusted to this moment in time. They need help with drive-thru food distribution. Meals on Wheels is also looking for drivers.
- Pick up litter. Going on a walk? Bring a bag along and help pick up litter in neighborhoods, in downtown Aurora, and along the Fox River.
- Chalk your walk. As a fun way to lift spirits, write encouraging and positive messages for passersby. Draw a fun picture. All ages can enjoy! Tag #chalkyourwalkaurora and share your artwork.
- Write a review. Help your local businesses during this uncertain time by writing a glowing review via Yelp/Facebook/Google.
- Order in. Grab some carry-out or have it delivered, but local restaurants need your continued support. HERE are some downtown options.
- Shop local online. Buy gift cards from Society 57 and Tredwell Coffee. Shop online at Wyckwood House and Warehouse 55. See if your favorite shop has online buying options.
- Check on friends and neighbors. Call or send messages to those around you. Do they need anything? Don’t forget to check on family, too!
- Decorate your windows. Some Aurora neighborhoods are adding beauty to the windows in their home, and creating joy for others. Add art, paper flowers, signs, etc. Make someone smile!
- Aurora Rainbow Art Project. From now until April 2, make a piece of rainbow art. On a canvas, in a sketchbook, or on your sidewalk. Use the hashtag #AuroraRainbowArt. On April 3, The ArtBar will collect them HERE and showcase them in a virtual gallery and share them through their social media accounts.
- Attend Virtual First Fridays. Don’t go anywhere! First Fridays is coming to you. On Friday, April 3, tune into Aurora Downtown on Facebook, and visit other participating Facebook pages from 5 to 10 p.m. Enjoy art, music, and more while you support the artists, makers, and businesses from your home.
- Complete the 2020 Census. You matter. A complete count matters to our community. Fill it out HERE.
Do you have more ideas for helping the local community while staying home? Send us a message. Click on the envelope on the top of the page.
Chalk your walk photo by Amy Nelson Photography.