The house has proudly been the home of the Aurora Historical Society since it was given to us by the family in 1936. The house was a gift to the Society from William Tanner’s children, Mary Tanner Hopkins and Martha Tanner Thornton, affectionately referred to as the Tanner twins. It was placed on the national register of historic places in 1976. The Aurora Historical Society is also housed in the David L. Pierce Art and History Center at 20 E. Downer Pl. in downtown Aurora.